Saturday, September 15, 2007

Ethiopia Research Trip

Lanie and I had the amazing opportunity to go to Ethiopia last fall to participate in a research study with UCSF studying trachoma, an eye disease that leads to blindness. Many people go blind from this disease in Ethiopia and other developing countries. We were looking at ways to effectively treat it in countries with limited resources. It was a great experience working together for such an important cause. We enjoyed experiencing the wonderful culture, food, and countryside of beautiful Ethiopia and can't wait to go back!

Ethiopia Research Trip

5 comments:

Megan said...

I think that is so great that you two went and did that! What a blessing to those great people. Truly an experience of a lifetime, Im sure.

Kev said...

in one of my classes last semester my professor was talking about trachoma because he'd seen a news story about it so I got to brag about how my sister/brother went to Africa to fight it.....i felt pretty cool, plus i think i got extra points for being a suck up!

Jen said...

Lanie I can't believe you colored and cut your own hair. Glad to hear it turned out ok! You must post some pictures. How lucky that Justin got to wake up to a whole new wife!

Lanes said...

Meg - It was so amazing, I feel really blessed that we got to go. I want to come to your house and eat plums! They look sooo good.

Kev - That is cool that he talked about it because most people in the US don't know about trachoma since nobody here has it.

Jen - I will post some pics. I kept thinking of you and what you would say as I absent-mindedly hacked away at my hair :)

Sarah Walton said...

Hi Lanie! We're new to this blogging thing so it's been fun checking everyone's out. Yours is so cute! We hope you guys are enjoying Oregon! Miss you guys!
The Waltons