Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Last Days of Summer

Can you believe summer is almost over?! Where did it go? The girls start school next week and I am having very mixed emotions about the whole thing. This is Abby's first year of "all day" school and Emma will be in preschool 4 afternoons a week. It seems like their childhood is passing before my eyes. I know they're still little but every new phase in their lives seems to bring on a wave of emotions for me.

So we've been trying to get in all the fun we can and enjoy these past few weeks of summer. Last week it was, get this, 104 degrees in Portland. So all of you that think the sun never shines here . . . We had to escape the heat and so we drove to the coast where it looked like this (see below). Yep, cloudy, windy and 60 degrees. I would have settled for a middle ground somewhere around 80 degrees but I wasn't complaining when we got home at 10:30 pm and the thermostat in our apt. still said it was 90 degrees in our house. The girls didn't mind that it was less than sunny. They played all day in the sand and even got in the water a bit. Not me!

The beautiful Oregon coast

Painting - they're practicing to be artists one day


Can I even tell you how much I love the blackberry bushes behind our house! Mmmmm.


Blackberry jam and blackberry-lemon tart - I love summer!

7 comments:

Chelsea said...

Love the pictures!! They are such beautiful little girls. They are such good friends too. o.k. I have a million blackberries too and don't know what to do with them. How do you make a blackberry tart?? Tell me your secrets, or recipes for that matter!!

PADA said...

Save some blackberry pie and jam for me. It looks so mouthwatering. Can't wait to see you in few short weeks.

April said...

Wow I liked your beach pic! Did you do something with it on photoshop? It was good seeing you guys in Utah. I hope you have packed in a ton of fun before school and good luck with your kids going to school!

Mandy said...

mmmmm. . . . blackberries. I can't believe I haven't picked any yet!

Tanya D said...

I'm so jealous of your blackberry bushes. I have to buy mine at $5 a pint.

Kristi said...

Looks yummy. And the picture with the girlies on the beach is so cute! Your girls are so cute. I'm sure you'll secretly love having all that time with just the baby while the two chiquitas are in school... It's getting so close!!!

the child family said...

Ooooh, my mouth is watering with all that blackberriness going on.

How is the pregnancy going? How far along are you now??