Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Deprived? or just creative?

Yesterday Emma had her first preschool field trip. They walked to Petco to pick out a class fish and a hermit crab. It was very exciting for Emma, especially since it was her special day to be the class helper so she got to be the first one to feed the fish.

When I went to pick her up, there was a list of all the kids on the door. Next to it, the teacher had written what pets they had at home. A few of the kids didn't have pets, but the majority had dogs, cats, fish, birds, etc. Under Emma's name was written "Box Elder bug". Now, I believe I have mentioned before about my kids love for anything creepy crawly. At any moment, there are about 5 cups on Abby's desk with some sort of spider living in them. Well, just yesterday morning Emma had been playing outside and had found a Box Elder bug that she had adopted. She made a habitat and even named it Bock (you know, short for Box). I was so glad that she remembered to tell her teachers that she did indeed have a pet. He drowned shortly after her return from preschool. But the great thing about Box Elder bugs is for every one that dies, there are about 10,000 more in the backyard.

6 comments:

Jennifer said...

Super cute!

Umm, what's a box elder bug?

Mandy said...

I loved the list on the door that had each child's suggestion for what to name the fish. Alice and Emma both suggested "Ishy."
I'm gonna go with creative, and not deprived.

P.S. Round these parts box elder bugs are referred to as june bugs.

TJ said...

i hate june bugs. and i would go with creative too.

PADA said...

That is very cute and oh so Emma. I can think of a few "garden" pets that I would want less than a box elder bug so be grateful that is what she chose.

Kristi said...

Holy cow. That is so funny! I wouldn't be able to handle it if my child had a love for bugs. My child likes to take paper towels, rags, wipes, kleenex, tp, etc around the house and rub the floor pretending to "get" the bugs. When she comes across a real one, she runs to me in a very dramatic and traumatized fashion so I can "get" the real bug. Yuck! But I did learn what a June Bug is this summer up at a cabin, and I have to say, they are pretty cool!

Kristel said...

hey
this is Kristel Liddle, Justin's wife...saw you on the Leggat's blog. Your family is adorable. We are considering moving to Portland in the next year and a half...I would love to talk to you about it! My email is 5liddles@gmail.com and our blog is
liddles5.blogspot.com