Saturday, November 10, 2007

I'm Thankful For . . .

Diversity! I am so thankful that we are all so different. I've been so blessed to be able to visit a lot of different places and meet people from every walk of life. It has taught me to really appreciate our differences. (And has created a dangerous need to travel.) Living in San Francisco for 4 years was such a great experience because of the amazing diversity right there in that city. I'm grateful for all of the things that I have learned from others, thank you!


I thought I would share a little story from our trip to Ethiopia (see previous Ethiopia post for details about trip.) There was an Ethiopian health worker with us on that trip names Hade. He was truly the smiliest person I have ever met. I never saw him without his huge grin. He was married with 2 of the most adorable, well-mannered children I've ever seen. He and his wife had started a health clinic in his home. They invited us over one night to see it. He had his living space in one area, a room with a microscope served as their pathology lab, a room with a single bed was where they saw patients, delivered babies, and performed any other procedures. They are open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week which means that either he or his wife are constantly there and ready to see patients. He said that there hasn't been one night in the year he's been open that they haven't seen patients in the middle of the night. They do this in order to get the business they need to stay open. He is so happy to be able to have this opportunity to help out in his community. When we went to visit, he and his wife served 8 of us a huge meal. I would imagine it cost them a whole month's income to feed us, but they were so happy to do it. I am constantly amazed by the ability that some have to take the situation they have been given and make the best of it, and to do it with a smile that never fades. Thanks Hade for your example!



Hade in front of his clinic.

Me in the delivery room/procedure room/anything else that needs to be done room.

Hade's son washing everyone's hands before dinner.

The Pathology Lab.

Hade and his beautiful family.

3 comments:

Chelsea said...

That's a beautiful story. Thank you for sharing it. I love that you have had so many experiences traveling the world. I especially love your stories of Jerusalem. Thank you for letting me live vicariously through you!

acte gratuit said...

That's just awesome. Why am I so selfish???

Anonymous said...

I love your "thankful" posts! I'm thankful you moved to Portland!