Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Nostalgia . . .

Every once in a while I am hit with a major case of nostalgia. We love Portland, we are totally happy here. But we miss San Francisco too and when I think about it sometimes I get kind of melancholy. It was such a good time in our lives. The city was amazing and we feel so lucky to have lived there and experienced all we did during our 4 years there. I know we will feel the same way when we leave Portland. I was just going through some pictures and found a few of our favorite things about SF. 

Tidepooling - We absolutely LOVED going tidepooling. We can't wait to do it here at the Oregon coast. It was the girls very favorite thing to do and we went as often as we could (it didn't hurt that it was only about 20 minutes from our house and it was free!)

The Marin Headlands - right across the Golden Gate, about 10 minutes from our house. We loved to come out here and have picnics and enjoy the view of the bay. It was a perfect Sunday drive destination and we probably did it at least a few times a month.
The Palace of Fine Arts - This is my favorite place in SF. I love the architecture, it is so beautiful. It was my favorite place to go and walk around with Justin and the kids. I spent a lot of time there while we were in SF.
Alamo Square - Full House - what else can I say?


8 comments:

Craig said...

Thank you for passing the "rat" phase, even as much as I enjoy the mischief of your family. Mom and I love those places in SF also, and have always envied you your time there. Half my life has been on the peninsula, and I lived for time in the city...but you seem to have forgotten the foggy day pics...

PADA said...

I get the nostalgia bit. We have that about the places we lived. And remember when you were blonde? Cute pictures.

Lanes said...

It's because I don't miss the foggy days :) And yes mom, I remember when I was blonde, I know you miss it!

Sarah Walton said...

I loved this post! So many fun things to do in SF. I miss our days there too . . . .luckily my family doens't live too far so we can visit there often. HOpe you guys are doing well!!

Sarah Walton said...

I loved this post! So many fun things to do in SF. I miss our days there too . . . .luckily my family doens't live too far so we can visit there often. HOpe you guys are doing well!!

PADA said...

I actually love your hair color. I think it suits you and you are beautiful any color or way you wear it. I'd love you bald.

BrittanyW said...

I love SF! I wish we could have visited you guys when you lived there so you could show us all the good stuff to see. Eric won't go there with me because he knows I went there with a guy I was dating right before him. :)

Julia said...

Cute photos! I understand how you feel. I still miss living in DC. I love living in places with a lot of tourism. I also get nostalgic about the ages of my girls when we lived there.

I think places we live & travel become a part of us... we just can't leave it behind. At the Ricks Teton lodge in Idaho there is a quote posted there that I love, "You never really leave a place you love, part of it you take with you & part of you is left behind."